Friday, February 22, 2008

Santa Fe


I'm in Galisteo, New Mexico for a little while. Taking some time away from NYC. Galisteo is a small artist community 25 minutes outside of Santa Fe. It is sooooo beautiful out here! You can see for miles and miles over open plains with small mountains popping up here and there. At night there are more stars than sky! It snowed yesterday which was also beautiful. Everything's beautiful......

i hope to get some organizational work done while i'm here. i need to make a list of what i need to do. Trying to make this into my own residency program, know what i mean? i have so many photos and projects that i haven't put on my site and i need to get them out there. today i'm going to make a list of what i need to do. Which will include exercise and meditation. i gotta get back on track.

i'm not going to FotoFest this year, applied too late and didn't get a slot. but i think it's for the better. i don't want to just show work for the sake of trying to show something if i don't have anything i'm really excited about. do i have to always have new work that i'm in to? do i hav eto attend every photo review seminar and continuously "hob-nob" with the people that have the power to get my work out there? don't get me wrong, Fotofest has helped me A LOT and i LOVE it and i love that i have made good friendships with other photographers and gallery owners and curators etc. but i'm just kinda anti-social right now i guess. not feeling too into my photography right now. although the photos i've been taking of Anya i think are really interesting and i want to continue that as soon as i return to Trinidad.

Well that takes me to my next thought these days. Should i move to Trinidad??? Anya, my girlfriend is from there and she moved back there and has been asked go up for the Miss TNT Universe. As well she has a great job with the Above group which is the leading design firm of the Caribbean. They have asked me to join them part time if i move back to Trinidad so that helps a lot and makes it somewhat feasible for me to do so. Of course i wouldn't be making US $$$ but maybe i'd be happier overall and maybe that is more valuable. I feel like i lost track of my #1 goal back in 2001 when i lost a lot of money in the Stock market. Since then i've just been scrambling to make $ with no long term goal and stopped focusing on what I REALLY WANT TO DO. I think i have tried hard to stick to my guns and to 'my art', 'my projects', but it is tough. It is not always easy to make enough $ off of them so you need to do commercial work too. I have tried to keep a balance but i think commercial work has taken over. I enjoy much of the commercial work actually and don't see it as "a job" but it is annoying to constantly be "looking for work".

so? who knows...

1 comment:

nina corvallo said...

well if Anya wins you can ,live at Trump Tower for a year for free ;)