Sunday, February 19, 2006

India Stories Part 3.1 - Wyatt Is Found

So this is what happened to me when I tried to go to Sri Lanka (the 2nd time from India that I tried) on Feb. 13th 2006:

hey listen, my trip has been crazy, i was supposed to go to sri lanka 1st but never made it, british airways did not put my tripod on the plane to madras so i wouldn't have gotten it till 2 days later in sri lanka and then would have only had maybe 4 days there total which seemed impossible for shooting what i needed to. so short story is i went to a ashram then met up with matt in Bombay which was dope, then to bangalore wher we just pimped out this amazing hotel and didn't do much else except some parties which were fun. we then went to his home land of Kerala for a week which was great and amazing but exhausting. so today monday we drove from 2am for 4 hours to the airport for him to leave for dubai then nyc and me for sri lanka for a week then dubai nyc. so all the computers are down at the kochi airport and the place is so packed you can barely walk anywhere. sri lanka air tells me not only am i not alowd to take 2 carry on bags but i can not take either of my carry on bags on board cause they are too heavy. one being all my camera gear and 2 being all my film, shot and unshot and my computer. neither i really want to part with, but i say ok take the camera bag and i'll take the film on board. they tell me no, it's too heavy. so i'm like damn! i just can't get to frickin sri lanka for anything. by the way, it had been impossible to change my return date so matt offered to buy me a new one way ticket home which was still difficult cause none were available out of sri lanka so i had to fly to india then dubai then nyc. anyway, i tell the woman just give me my money back i'm not going at all. she says you don't have to board but you can't get a refund. after matty and i talk to her, and he calls her auntie and says some stuff in malyali, she agrees to let me get my film bag on board. i just felt like it was the final sign telling me not to go. matty had to go board and i went to indian airlines and they said i could get on a flight in 45 mins with a ticket i already had to bombay, no additional cost, so i said i'm going home and just did it. i arrived in bombay hoping my original return ticket from bombay to zurich to nyc was still usable. i soon find out that i was not on the flight. i had tried to change it so many times that they ended up changing it even though i told them to leave it as is. but, and that is a huge but, Bria at American airlines in Bombay was able to get me back on the flight!!!!! the best news yet!!! and now i have been in this airport in bombay since 12:30pm and am waiting for the flight that leaves at 1:40am. the traffic is so bad here that it makes no sense to go in to downtown bombay and i can't reach the one person whose phone number i have here. so i am here, happy to be going home, to the snow even, hopefully the airport will be open.

No comments: